YMCA Diabetes Prevention Program
The YMCAâ€™s DIABETES PREVENTION PROGRAM
You can reduce your risk for type 2 diabetes and gain tools for healthy living.
The YMCAâ€™s Diabetes Prevention Program helps those at high risk of developing type 2 diabetes adopt and maintain healthy lifestyles by eating healthier, increasing physical activity and losing a modest amount of weight in order to reduce their chances of developing the disease. Based on research funded by the National Institutes of Health and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the program reduces the risk of developing type 2 diabetes by 58%.
In a classroom setting, a trained lifestyle coach facilitates a small group of participants in learning about healthier eating, physical activity and other behavior changes over the course of 16 one-hour sessions. Topics covered include healthier eating, getting started with physical activity, overcoming stress, staying motivated, and more. After the initial 16 core sessions, participants meet monthly for added support to help them maintain their progress.
- Reduce body weight by 7%
- Increase physical activity to 150 minutes per week
- The YMCAâ€™s Diabetes Prevention Program is part of the CDC-led National Diabetes Prevention Program.
- UnitedHealthcare members should check with their employer for program availability, or contact the Diabetes Prevention and Control Alliance to confirm eligibility at 1-800-237-4942.
- Class locations vary and are held throughout the Evansville area
- Please contact your UnitedHealth Group or Medical Insurance provider to determine eligibility. If you are not covered by insurance the program is still available to you
For information contact:
(812) 426-6210 ext. 3367