September 7, 2016
Beginning Saturday, Sept 10th, the Splash Pad at the Dunigan YMCA will be open on Saturdays & Sundays* 12:00PM-4:30pm only. Â The Splash Pad will close for the season on Sunday, Sept 25th.
*Weather-permitting and the temperature is above 72Â°.
September 1, 2016
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;Â in all your ways submit toÂ Him, andÂ He will make your paths straight.
Â» Â Proverbs 3:5-6
August 29, 2016
September is Childhood Obesity Awareness Month, and while the dangers of childhood obesity are well chronicled, many families need support changing their childrenâ€™s habits with the ultimate goal of improving health. Thatâ€™s why the YMCA of Southwestern IndianaÂ â€” a leading community-based organization dedicated to improving healthâ€”wants families to understand the dangers of childhood obesity and ways to reverse course through improved eating habits and increased physical activity.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), childhood obesity has more than tripled in children and adolescents over the past 30 years. Today, obesity affects one in six children and one in three are overweight, which poses greater risks for a number of health problems such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and some cancers. Â Here in Indiana, over 13%Â of all children are considered overweight or obese, according to the Indiana State Department of Health.
The following tips are some great ways to incorporate healthier eating habits and more physical activity into your daily family routine:
- Eat & Drink Healthy: Make water the drink of choice (supplemented by age-appropriate servings of low-fat milk) and make it easy for everyone to fill half their plates with fruits and vegetables by offering two or three colorful options at every meal. Feel free to mix and match fresh and frozen fruits and vegetables to provide variety. Place a full pitcher of water on the table during meals, and allow children to pour their own water.
- Play Every Day/Go Outside: Kids should have at least an hour a day of unstructured play outside (when possible) and break a sweat at least three times a week by getting 20 minutes or more of vigorous physical activity. Join your children in games that get your hearts pumping and bodies moving.
- Get Together: Eat as a family as frequently as possible. Involve kids in meal planning, preparation and clean up. In addition, adults should take a break from electronics and spend one-to-one time each day with their kids, enjoying one anotherâ€™s company.
- Reduce Recreational Screen Time: Time spent in front of a television, computer, tablet, cell phone or video games should be limited to two hours or less per day. Make a family plan to reduce screen time at home (i.e. turn off screens during meals, keep a chart, go for a walk after a meal).
- Sleep Well: Kids and adults need to keep a regular sleep schedule; go to bed and rise from bed within 1 hour of the same time every day. Kids are growing and need 10-12 hours of healthy sleep per night and seven to eight hours for adults.
August 8, 2016
We will be conducting some annual cleaning and maintenance at the Downtown facility. Â View our detailed shutdown schedule for areas that will be affected.
August 4, 2016
Starting August 15th, the Dunigan Family Splash Pad will be open:
- Monday – Friday 10:00 am-1:00 pm andÂ 4:00 pm-7:00 pm
- Saturdays 10:00 am-4:30 pm
- Sundays 12:00 pm-4:30 pm