LIVESTRONG at the YMCA
Cancer is a devastating diagnosis for people of all ages and backgrounds. Going through a diagnosis and various forms of treatment can take a serious toll on a person both physically and emotionally. LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA focuses on you – the whole person – not the disease by providing support and guidance to help rebuild and gain strength.
LIVESTRONG at the YMCA is a FREE 12-week program for adult cancer survivors that meet twice a week for 90 minutes. YMCA instructors work with each participant to fit the program to his or her individual needs. The instructors are trained in the elements of cancer, post rehab exercise and supportive cancer care.
The program focuses on:
- building muscle mass and strength
- increasing flexibility and endurance
- improving confidence and self-esteem
In addition to the physical benefits, LIVESTRONG at the YMCA provides participants a supportive environment and a feeling of community with their fellow survivors, YMCA staff, and members.
The program’s ultimate goal is to assist participants in developing their own physical fitness program so they can continue to practice a healthy lifestyle, not only as part of their recovery, but as a way of life.
The program is FREE for those who qualify, with program costs underwritten by the YMCA of Southwestern Indiana, St. Vincent and Oncology Hematology Associates. Space is limited for each session to allow for low instructor-to-participant ratio. Preregistration is required.
Here’s what participants are saying about the program:
- “The best thing for me is the laughter.”
- “I can’t believe how much stronger I am.”
- “Alone I was scared to exercise, really scared. Now I have confidence and I CAN DO THIS.“
- “The thing I like most about the program is that it is like a support group, but the main focus isn’t cancer. It’s fitness. With this program, cancer comes up in conversation, but it isn’t front and center. We’ve all dealt with it and are willing to share our experiences, but we don’t dwell on it.” “LiveStrong. Kind of speaks for itself. Live. Strong. That’s what cancer patients have to choose to do. Through this class I have been shown how to read my body better but also have met some wonderful ladies who are showing me how to start over again. Before the program, I had spent a year depressed, thinking I’d never be able to be that athletic energetic woman again. But yesterday, I was working out and was able to actually up some of the weights. That little victory was huge for me. I knew then that I could recover. I could get back to feeling better. I could get back to that woman I used to be. I just needed to be gentle and kind to myself and realize how much this battle took out of me.” Psalms 147:3 “He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds” —Amy, LiveSTRONG participant – 2016